In fact, I don't even have the time tonight to write about anything interesting, even though a number of themes did cross my path in the last week. Given ample time, I may explore some of them in the upcoming days. Until then I must ask you to be patient while my life slows down to a manageable level.
My laptop is still in a matter if disarray, and I imagine I will have to purchase a new computer in the upcoming weeks. But I am patiently waiting, for the following reasons:
1) Last week, I paid for 6 months' worth of vehicle insurance. Knowing my driving record, my insurance premiums are not exactly cheap. More like $4000 per year. So I just dropped a pretty penny, and a new computer isn't exactly a trivial expense. Oh yes, financing a computer or my insurance is not an option (have you seen the interest rates?).
2) Apple released new Power Mac G5's today, all sporting dual processors. What this tells me is that Apple left a market open for single-processor G5 machines. It is my guess that the G5 will make it into the iMac relatively soon, perhaps by it's next revision. If the price point is comparable to the current machines, it will be an excellent choice of computer for its' price, as well as it would buy me as much as 5 years out of the machine before it would be deemed obsolete.
I would like to discuss the implications of why I choose Apple computers over the PC counterpart, but I do not have time to discuss it tonight. Perhaps in a subsequent post I will allude to some of the myths, and truths about the "Light and Dark sides" of the computer industry.

No comments:
Post a Comment