Tuesday, August 03, 2004

iPod Rantings & Ravings

I have been spending much of my time trying to get the most out of my iPod and iTunes collection -- you probably have figured that out already, since my most recent posts have revolved around my cute little white piece of therapeutic technology. While searching for interesting playlists etc., it has come to my attention that there are a myriad of reviews on the web that feel that the iPod is horrifically flawed, and undeserving of the title of the #1 digital music player on the market. I would like to address a few points for the record:

Yes, the iPod could be considered prohibitively expensive. I will agree that I feel that the price point of the iPod mini is almost ridiculous. I suppose it matters not, since the iPod mini is flying off the shelves worldwide. 4 gigabytes of storage is not enough for me; though I imagine that it is quite ample for most people. As for the 40-gigabyte model (or the rumored future 60-gigabyte model), I can't imagine having that much music and being able to listen to it all. Last case in point, every product Apple makes is expensive. Those who use Apple products are those who wish to deviate from the norm. Their products are sleek, sexy, and downright easy to use.

I can't recall how many reviews I have read that have downplayed the iPod, stating that the only file format that the iPod supports is the AAC audio format. Their arguments are that this forces the consumer to purchase and download music from the iTunes music store exclusively. This could hardly be further from the truth.

The only file format the the iPod does not support is the Windows Media Format. The reasons are not within the technology; it is due to marketing schemes. Of course Apple wants people to use the AAC format, it features digital rights management, and they profit form every song that is downloaded from the iTunes Music Store. The iPod supports MP3, AAC, Apple's new lossless encoder, and uncompressed CD audio.

A person does not have to purchase audio on the iTunes music store in order to listen to it on their iPod. There are a number of alternatives. You can of course, illegally download music from Kazaa, Limewire, or some other file-sharing client, and it will work on the iPod. The competition, of course, wouldn't tell you that. Or there is my solution:

As I am not an American citizen, or living in Europe, I have no access to the iTunes music store anyway. I also frown on illegally sharing music, as I am a musician and the process does hurt the musicians. Sadly, I don't like siding with the recording industry, as it seems they have all the money and power to prosecute 13-year old kids and 70-something grandmas who inadvertently have file-sharing programs on their computer.

Instead, I go CD shopping at pawn shops. I buy my CD's used whenever possible. I often get my CD's for a couple bucks each. Even compared to the iTunes music store, it is a way cheaper alternative than buying new, or downloading from these online digital superstores. This way, you get the artwork, you can encode the songs in a bitrate that is acceptable to you, you get no corrupted files, you always have an archive of your music, and it's legal.

Save the CD's; buy used.

No comments: