Have you ever wanted to have the power to use Adobe Photoshop software, but could not afford it, or felt guilty using pirated software? Then check the Gimp out. The Gimp is an open-source, freely distributed photo editing suite designed for all major computer platforms. It should do everything that Photoshop does.
I installed the Gimp on my iMac, and with a little tweaking, I had it up and running in a few minutes. The software is still under development, so they have not yet coded an aqua interface for the OSX version of the program -- it is running under X11, an X Windows application.
Why would I need such a program? Well, I'm designing some new images to be placed on this site, and I wanted a powerful image manipulation program. I hope in a few weeks I will be able to upload the new images and you can see my amateur artistic skills.
Once I has the Gimp successfully running, I installed OpenOffice for my spreadsheet and word-processing needs. It so closely resembles Micro$oft Office that the resemblance is uncanny. Goodbye M$ Office; goodbye Appleworks.
Public Service Announcement: Support open-source software and save yourself a few bucks.
Wednesday, October 20, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment