Monday, October 18, 2004

He's All Growed Up!

"Hi! I'm Wil Wheaton. You might remember me from such television series as Star Trek: The Next Generation and the motion picture Stand By Me. I'm here to tell you I'm not a washed-up child actor."

I will be terribly honest, although I sporadically watched Star Trek: TNG as a teenager, I might say that I found the character of Wesley Crusher quite annoying. I am sure you have to blame this on the writers' behalf than on Wil Wheatons', but as far as I was concerned, Crusher's primary role in the series was to be the child prodigy who always manages to get the rest of the crew out of a seemingly hopeless situation.

While surfing the web, I recently stumbled onto Wil's Website. I was at first a little apprehensive, as celebrity blogs are usually disappointing. Many of them are rarely updated, and are usually the product of shameless self-promotion. Not Wil's. His approach to his weblog is to establish a personable, approachable side to a profession which is often shroud in solitude. Wil doesn't promote himself much; he writes about issues that interest and affect us all. His approach to writing establishes a connection between him and the reader that demonstrates that celebrities are human, just as you and I.

Give Wil Wheaton a try. You might see a new side to him that was never present on the small or big screen.

No comments: