Over the Christmas break, I found myself playing with a happy little computer app called Garageband. It's a no-frills Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) designed by Apple. I haven't played much with it in the past, as I have no way of plugging any instruments (or my voice) into the computer. I need a breakout box, and one of the cheapest (that's worth purchasing) is Digidesign's MBox. I'd love to have the Digi 002, but it's a little out of my price range. If recording were my business, than I might be able to justify such a purchase.
One thing I found interesting about Garageband was the integration of loops with digital audio. I honestly am not a fan of loops. I don't like writing songs that sound like someone else's composition. On the other hand, I was blown away by the quality of the "software instruments" that Garageband offers. Once I began using the effects processors, then I really got excited.
I downloaded a MIDI file of a song I enjoy, and imported it into Garageband. The idea was so I could get a feel for the software, while not having to worry too much about creative issues such as songwriting. Users of Garageband will know that it doesn't directly support MIDI files. If you use a program such as Dent Du Midi, it will covert your MIDI files into Garageband files. By the way, Dent Du Midi is an indispensable app if you use Garageband. I highly recommend trying it out.
I ended up having a ball playing with Garageband. Sure, it's not as powerful as Pro Tools, Cubase VST, or Logic, but it is well worth its' price ($0). The idea of me having my own recording studio is festering in my head again, and perhaps the MBox is the way to start. I would love to sink my teeth into Apple's Logic software, but the $1300 price tag is a little tough for me to swallow, especially if it isn't generating me any income.
If you have a chance to play with Garageband, I highly suggest you try it out. You don't even need an instrument (or know how to play one) to start making music. Sadly, it might be only available to Mac users.
Thursday, December 30, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment