Thursday, January 13, 2005

MC Fro Was Seduced By The Dark Side of the Credit Card

The power of having a credit card is overwhelmingly tempting. I've been itching to use it on-line and find rare items that I've been yearning. The itch is so bad at times that I don't care what I buy -- as long as it's easy as pushing a few buttons and it winds up at my door, without me having to go out in the cold.

I spend a lot of time searching for items on eBay that I can't seem to find in town. The problem is that the bidding is so fierce, shipping charges are so expensive, and sellers are out to make their money back, that by the time you received said item, it really wasn't worth the purchase.

You could probably guess what items I typically search for: drums, cymbals, recording equipment, and computers. Many people search for these items on eBay, so chances of getting a good deal on any of these items are slim and none.

I took a stroll over to Amazon.com, and searched for a CD I've been wanting to buy for a number of years now: Contagion's Contaminant PCB. It's a very rare CD, and I learned of this group while I was a DJ at CKUL in Lethbridge. If you are a fan of Industrial music, this CD is essential to your collection. I found a copy of the aforementioned CD for 97 cents on Amazon. The total price with shipping included was $6.46. Now, I think I scored a great deal, as I was prepared to spend $30+ for the CD. As for the ease of the shopping experience: Bloody easy. Click-Click-Click-Done. Buying on eBay can be a nightmare at times. I used to send money orders (before I had a credit card). What a whole lot of running around to have an item shipped to you in 6 to 8 weeks.

Getting a "good deal" is arbitrary. I suppose you get a good deal as long as you think you did. You will always find some schmuck who bought it cheaper than you.

I hope my credit card spending doesn't wind up out-of-control. I'm the kind of person if I see a deal I can't refuse, it's mine, whether it costs me six bucks or six thousand.

No comments: