Friday, February 18, 2005

Pain

This has not been a very good week for me. There have been times that I have been in a considerable amount of pain, which has sent me to the doctor's office for tests. I wasn't surprised when I never heard back from my test results.

I woke up in the middle of last night in a large amount of pain. It was enough that I could not get comfortable, nor could I get back to sleep. 3:00 AM found me on the way to the Emergency. I spent three hours being poked, and prodded, samples of bodily fluids were obtained for testing, and I was intravenously administered some pretty powerful painkillers. I was released from the ER at 6:00 AM being told I would likely be called in the morning to return to the hospital for more tests.

The ER Doctor suspects I have a kidney stone. He also has high hopes that the stone will be removed from my body naturally, (that is to say, the hard way). I should not hesitate to mention that I did not get a wink of sleep last night.

That being said, I am scheduled to return to the hospital at noon for X-rays. They wanted to inject me full of radioactive dye and then X-ray my tissues, but instead, they now want to perform some other test, called a CG. They didn't give me any more details of the test, so I called a friend of mine who is an RN, and asked her what a CG was. She didn't have a very good idea of what it was, but from what she said, that it was likely less invasive than being injected with dye.

What a week. This put the kybosh on my weekend plans, as I expected to visit some out-of-town friends this weekend. Instead, it looks like I am going to be lying on the floor in unpredictable periods of agony until the stone decides to make its' exit.

I suspect I will update this when I return from the Interrogation Chamber, er, I mean the hospital.

No comments: