I wanted to comment on Canada's official decision to not participate in Missile Defence. Everything that has been needed to be said, has probably been already, but there were a few things this week that caught my attention. The US Ambassador to Canada, Paul Cellucci made a statement regarding Canada's decision to not participate in the Missile Defence program. He said:
"We will deploy. We will defend North America," he said. "We simply cannot understand why Canada would in effect give up its sovereignty - its seat at the table - to decide what to do about a missile that might be coming towards Canada." - Globe & Mail
Instead, I would say that Canada demonstrated their sovereignty by not participating in missile defence.
It was also stated (sadly, I don't remember who said this) that if Canada wanted to be a ballistic missile target, then participation in the missile defence program would be required. I have stated this before, Canada is the missile shield. Ballistic missiles will likely be fired over the North Pole. If the missiles are shot down, where will they land but on Canadian soil? The Missile Defence program sounded like a sour deal to me from the very beginning.
I am proud that us Canadian citizens, including our representatives in Government, have taken a stand at very serious issue.

No comments:
Post a Comment