Wednesday, February 09, 2005

What Happened to My RAM?

As mentioned in an earlier post this week, I like to keep my software up-to-date. While checking various newsgroups on the web, it was brought to my attention a new version of the Mac OS (version 10.3.8) was released. I did not hesitate to install the new software. The download and install went without a hitch, and I restarted my computer.

When the machine rebooted, and I logged into my user account, I discovered that my computer had lost 256 megabytes of RAM along the way. The computer is registering 512 megabytes of RAM, instead of 768. I have a 256MB DIMM in one slot, and a 512MB DIMM in the other. Checking the system profiler states that I have 2-256MB DIMMs installed.

I am at a total loss trying to figure out why only half the RAM in one DIMM is not registering. I have read information on numerous forums that the iMac G5 likes matched RAM, but if this were a problem, I would have figured that I would have had troubles much earlier.

If anybody out there has any ideas, I'd appreciate any feedback.

No comments: