Friday, March 25, 2005

The Cat's Out Of The Bag...

Ok, first thing's first. I have been feeling fantastic for the last week and a half. I believe I have finally passed the [kidney] stone, though I don't have any definitive proof. I have returned to my normal self, I haven't missed any work, and I haven't had to take a painkiller since two Saturdays ago. Monday morning, I went to the Hospital for more tests and X-rays, so I should have a better understanding of the status of my health in a few weeks when I see the specialist again.

As far as I'm concerned, the wrath of the stone is over.

Many moons ago, I mentioned here that I had some exciting news I could barely wait to share. It has taken a number of months for events to develop, but I feel that it is now safe that I can share the news with you. One afternoon while shopping for toys, the owner of a local music store approached me and asked me if I wanted the principal drum instructor job at his shop. I would be responsible for teaching some 90 students, and managing my own schedule. Equipment would be provided, so I did not have to worry about wear and tear on my own equipment. All I had to do was pay the owner a monthly rental fee. It sounded like a great deal, and I would be able to pursue music as a full-time career once again, just like I did in 1999 and 2000.

I regrettably did not take the job. A lot of people may regard this as a mistake, but let me assure you this was not an easy decision to make. I had to think long and hard about making music a full-time endeavor again in my life. When I tried it for two years, I found them to be two of the most difficult years of my life, and was I ever poor. It was a fight to just pay my bills every month, and what little left-over I had went to saving for next month's bills. Travel is very expensive, and when you are eating three meals per day in restaurants, the money you make disappears very quickly.

The other major concern I had regarding this job was the high capacity of students I would have to teach. Contrary to popular belief, teaching is not an easy job. There is a great deal of stress and preparation involved in providing every student the best guidance you can give them. In 1999, I had approximately 20 students, and I nearly hit burn-out. Teaching was a complete chore, the lessons dragged on, and seemed to get longer with every passing week. I ended up quitting teaching in 2000 to finish my degree. When I graduated in 2001, I found myself back teaching to put a little extra cash in my pocket.

If I could not handle teaching 20 students, how am I going to manage 90? There have been times in my life where I absolutely hated music; like being trapped in my own personal hell. I never want to hate music again.

The band and I took a few hours to set up our equipment at the Redcliff Hylton last night. I had an incredible feeling of relief when I walked into that bar last night; a lot like returning home from a long vacation. I haven't gigged at the Hylton in over three years. It's such a dump, but the atmosphere of these bars grow on you. I love the old, smelly bars where the low-lifes, the dangerous, and the rowdy like to drown their sorrows. I like the fact that every line on their face tells a story, and every drink they have seems well-deserved. These people have hearts of gold, and even though they have few possessions, they would give them all to you if it would help you out. These people are generous, and not greedy. And if you let them, they will tell you incredible stories about their life -- of course you don't have to believe every word they say.

While we were setting up the gear all the guys in the band were getting excited, talking about how long it has been since they played a show, and how much they were looking forward to the next night. Playing gigs in bars is highly addictive. It's like a weekly fix; if you miss out on a few dosages, you begin to long for that adrenaline rush.

It's going to be a huge adrenaline rush tonight.

No comments: