Sunday, March 27, 2005

It's Good To Be Back

Last nights' show at the Hylton demonstrated a 100% improvement in the overall performance of our band. Did we ever have a good time last night. The bar was packed again; full of rowdy rock & rollers. A number of my friends managed to attend the show, and even some friends from years past surprisingly attended. I never managed to determine if they knew I'd be there or if the meeting was purely coincidental. Regardless, I reestablished some old ties, and managed to gather a few more friends (and fans) to attend our performance in Calgary next weekend.

The overall tally for last night was:
2 broken drumsticks
4+ alcoholic beverages (I lost count after 4)
1 paycheck.

The guys in the band keep kicking my ass on stage telling me to hit harder. Every stick I break is 7 bucks down the toilet. For that price them drumsticks better heat my house. I threw a fit last night, when a fresh pair of sticks didn't even last 30 minutes. I'm going to have to demand a raise, since equipment maintenance and replacement does not come cheap (note to self: buy bigger sticks). I'm already spending a few nights in a hotel next week, so that means I will be making very little cash in Calgary. I know it's all about having fun, but when I spend time in Calgary, I end up going to music shops and then I spend 2 months' salary on toys. The last time I went shopping in Edmonton, I ended up having 5k worth of toys in my hands, and it proved very difficult to be selective at what I really needed. I really will have to do my best to restrain myself this weekend, but there are far too many toys on my wish list. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get some of the articles I desire in town, and if they are available in town, they are overpriced.

Today ended up being a rough one. I didn't get home until 4:00 this morning, and I slept until 11:00. Gigging late for the last two nights felt like someone hit me with a sack of hammers. I ended up sleeping for another two hours in the afternoon. I hope that my sleep schedule can return to normal by tomorrow. It's going to be a long week, but filled with fun and adventure.

No comments: