Gigging in Calgary was a blast last week, even though I was running around like a headless chicken. I expected that I was going to get a lot of rest and relaxation, but it turned out that I didn't get much rest.
Much of Thursday was spent shopping with Chris. We hit nearly every music store within the city limits. By the end of the day, my credit card burned to the touch. I swiped that thing so many times, smoke began emanating from my wallet. I ended up buying drumheads, drumsticks (necessities), and a brand new pair of K hi-hats. I saw my dream drumset, and my heart ached, but I knew there was no possible way that I could afford another drumset at this time. The drumset kept whispering sweet nothings in my ear, and then begged me to take it home, but I tried explaining to the drumset that I just didn't have room in my car for the new beauty. I promised the drumset I would return and buy her, but deep down she knew I couldn't hold my promise.
I also saw the Mackie mixers I was describing in an earlier post. I was very tempted to walk out with one, but again the price tag was a little much for me to justify -- and I knew, deep in my heart, that I wanted a pair of K hi-hats most. I also saw an Ayotte-Keplinger snare, that just thirty minutes prior, I told Chris: "If they have an Ayotte-Keplinger snare, I don't care how much it costs, I'm buying one". Once I saw the $1200 price tag, I changed my mind.
I can't remember the last time I spent 3 nights in the bar. In some ways, it was nice to get out of my cocoon. It was also very smoky, and rowdy. My beautiful maple snare drum now smells like an ashtray. The drumset I took up to Calgary almost didn't hold up to the abuse that Müle Shöe deals on a nightly basis. I took my portable PureCussion drumset, but that thing is so flimsy, that you can only hit so hard before you begin damaging the kit. I should have known better, but I have a real hard time fitting my big drumset into my car.
The performances did go well overall. The band is clicking nicely, and they are still kicking my ass to hit harder. We sold a fair number of CD's, t-shirts, and 8X10 posters. We made some good connections which could mean that we will be returning to Calgary sooner than expected. Perhaps we will return during the summer... But I can't say anything about that right now.
I had many late nights, and early mornings. There was also a time change Saturday night, so I lost an hour of sleep. The drive back home was a long one, even though I couldn't wait to get back home to my own bed.
Four days since I returned home, I am still exhausted. I have no idea when things are going to let up, but the next few weeks are going to be packed. I have all kinds of rehearsals (with three different bands), weekend gigs, and even recording sessions in the studio. I may be making some coin here and there, but I know that I won't be getting much sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment