Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Israel Withdraws From Gaza

Israel has had a military presence in the Gaza Strip for some 38 years -- until today. History has been made, as the Gaza Strip is being returned to Palestine. Effective Wednesday, all Israelis must leave their homes, and seek a new place to live in Israeli territory. Those who refuse to leave will undoubtedly be dealt with is a swift and harsh manner.

I consider this to be the beginning of the end of a bloodbath that has lasted nearly forty years. This has been regarded by the international community as an illegal occupation - which has lasted far too long. A part of me is overjoyed that the Gaza strip is being returned to the Palestinians.

But I fear that this will not be the end of the violence, but this is a step in the right direction for bringing peace to Israel. Entire generations have known nothing but hatred for their enemies, and when such prejudices are so deeply ingrained in the peoples of Israel and Palestine, it is going to take years -- decades -- generations before tolerance and acceptance will be established between the two cultures.

3 comments:

Becky said...

I have been basing my opinions about the situation on the information from friends. They are pro-Isreal (occupation), and I agree tentatively based partly on what I've read from:

A Short History of Isreal

I find it very hard to really evaluate different sources of information about the whole thing. From what I understand, although Isreali law is less than ideal or "equal", Palistinian treatment of Jews is far worse. In fact, Palistinian law would give Palistinians less freedom than they have now under Isreali rule. Do you know of any good sources about this? How do you evaluate them?

MC said...

This is likely one of the most compilcated subjects I have tried to address in this weblog. I also think it is a bit of a dangerous subject -- one that might net more enemies than friends. Thus, I shall do my best to choose my words very carefully. I would also like to take this opportunity for anyone who is compelled to comment on this issue to choose your words carefully. I welcome and respect all opinions, but I will not tolerate any abusive language.

The biggest problem with the Israeli / Palestine dispute is that it is entirely subjective. There is no "right" side. Both Israeli and Palestinean ideologies are rooted in religious beliefs, and when people so deeply believe in the teachings of their respective religions, they often will come to irrational conclusions about almost anything. In this case, Jerusalem is considered the Holy City by a number of world religions. It has also been the center of holy-wars for more than two thousand years. Thus, how can one religion solely occupy the city and drive out all other religions, when it is as sacred to other religous sects as it is to those who occupy it?

This is exactly why western cultures have used their constitutions to separate the Church from the State. One can argue, however that the Church still influences the political decisions of those in power. Just look to Canada to see the sad state of affairs the Canadian Governemnt has been in over the Gay marriage issue. It has paralyzed Parliament for nearly two years.

I am a little leery on your comments regarding Palestinean law. You said: "Palestinean law would give [their citizens] less freedom than they have now under Israeli rule". I am not sure what you mean by this. Are you suggesting that having Palestenians under Israeli conrol is ultimately better than the Palestenian right to self-government -- namely because the Palestenian culture will oppress certain groups (namely women)?

Unforunately, there is no easy answer to this question. There is also a lot more to the issue at hand, but it is awfully late, and my brain has been reduced to oatmeal.

Becky said...

I also think it is a bit of a dangerous subject -- one that might net more enemies than friends. Thus, I shall do my best to choose my words very carefully. I was a little hesitant to comment on the subject at all. I'm glad you understand why.

This is exactly why western cultures have used their constitutions to separate the Church from the State. I think this would be a better solution for the government in the area where Isreal is.

Are you suggesting that having Palestenians under Israeli conrol is ultimately better than the Palestenian right to self-government -- namely because the Palestenian culture will oppress certain groups (namely women)? Yes. I hadn't thought of women specifically although it would be reason alone. Even where a majority share a belief, the belief may be to repress free speech and the growth of ideas.