Saturday, August 20, 2005

Spam, Sausage, Spam, Spam, Spam, Bacon, Spam, Tomato and Spam

It amazes me how much spam I get. It must be the scourge of the internet, no matter how many bills governments pass bills citing ever-increasing penalties for the distrbution of mass-emails, spam just doesn't seem to go away. I often wonder if my situation is worse than everyone else's.

Fortunately, technology has come to aid us, providing spam filters, removing all bulk emails, so we can spend more time reading legitimate email, rather than erasing countless messages that weren't really meant for us in the first place.

In my experience, there have been a few mail clients that have done a decent job of filtering spam from my inbox. Yahoo! mail, has SpamGuard, though it's not perfect, it manages to filter out 98% of the junk mail I get on a daily basis. I have never used Gmail, but I have wondered about the spam-filters' effectiveness. To my knowledge, Outlook Express does not have built-in spam protection, but there are a number of plug-ins that are available for download.

If you use a mail client, one that is noteworthy is Mozilla Thunderbird. It has a built-in filter that actually learns to detect and remove spam while you read and mark your messages.

How dire is my situation? In my Yahoo! mail account, I tend to recieve 100 spam messages per day. I have been wondering if I have been getting more than my share of junk mail, or not. So the question to all you readers is: How much spam do you get per day, and what do you do to combat it (if anything?).

Song of the day: Solid Ground - Ginger (website not available)

2 comments:

Becky said...

I have 56 spam messages in my Yahoo spam box today. I go through them daily looking for the odd message that shouldn't have gone to spam. It almost doesn't seem worth having a spam guard if I'm going to go through them anyway, but at least they're not all getting downloaded. I use Thunderbird as my mail client, but I haven't messed with the spam filter.

BTW, I like the appearance of your background and colors, but I find the text difficult to read. I think it's not contrasting enough with your background (it could be my less than perfect eyesight).

MC said...

When I first applied the background image to this webpage, I asked my readers if the image was too bright. I actually thought it was a little bright myself (I was also hoping to publish something a little more subtle).

If time permits today, I will see if I can modify the image. Hopefully, it will make things a little easier to read.