Saturday, October 01, 2005

A One-Way Trip?

Yahoo! News reports that a Russian rocket has blasted off into space, carrying one civilian crew member who reportedly paid for the trip himself.

US millionaire scientist Gregory Olsen is the world's third space tourist, and will rendezvous with the International Space Station Monday for a six-month research mission.

The kicker is that Russia has refused to bring Olsen back to Earth, unless NASA pays for the flight. Furthermore, US law prohibits NASA from making such payments to Russia. Given the fact that the US Space Shuttle fleet is still grounded indefinitely, and seats are a a premium on the Soyuz capsules, Olsen may be stranded on the Space Station for a very long time.

If I had millions to throw around, I would finance my own trip into space, however I would at least like some comfort in the notion that I would be guaranteed a lift home.

Somebody should have told Olsen to not forget his towel.

No comments: