Sunday, November 13, 2005

Recently Added to The Blogroll

This week, I added six sites to the blogroll, which I visit fairly often. In some cases, I visit these sites daily.

ehMac.ca is a Mac users group for Canadians. There are a number of forums to discuss Mac news, hardware / software troubleshooting issues, and even a classifieds section if you want to buy (or sell) a used Mac. The atmosphere in the forums is relaxed, and not filled with antagonistic diatribes that are usually found on discussion forums. If you are a Canadian, and a Mac fanatic, this site must be bookmarked.

Homestarrunner is yet another flash-based cartoon / animation site. I heard about Homestarrunner.com a few years ago, and was coerced to visit the site. My first impressions were mixed, as I could tell there was a lot of attention to detail, but I didn't find the content very amusing; I actually found it quite annoying. After I have watched all the Strong Bad emails, and a few cartoons, I found it to be hilarious. But caveat is you have to watch all the early material to understand the jokes. Be prepared to spend many, many hours on the site to fully appreciate the dynamics and humor of Homestarrunner.

Mac Bytes is one of those sites that link to other content on the web. Where this site excels at is that it is a one-stop link to all the most important Apple news. This site can save me hours of time, instead of sifting through a dozen websites for latest in Mac news, or rumors.

Mac OSX Hints
is a great site dedicated to those with a bit of programming flair, or for those who wish to get the most productivity out of their operating system. About half a dozen hints are published on the site daily, which can vary from simple tweaks to preference panes to some hardcore scripting in the Terminal. I find something worth reading every day on here.

Low End Mac.com. Who said you needed the latest operating system and hardware to be most productive? Low End Mac excels at providing content that is geared towards those who want to extend the life of their Macs. Very often in the Mac world, a machine that is five years old is still "good enough" to surf the web, check your email, write papers, and even compose music. In many cases, the contributors at Low-End Mac are using old Mac SE's to run email servers. It may not be in your best interest to throw out that old Mac that's collecting dust in the closet. You might want to check out this site first.

WFD - Extreme Sport Drumming
. WFD is an acronym for the world's fastest drummer contest, held every year. How fast is fast? Well the record for the fastest hands is held by Mike Mangini, at 1247 single strokes in one minute. The record for the fastest feet is held by Edmonton's Tim Waterson (whom I have met on two separate occasions), who managed 1407 double strokes. I have a hard enough time managing 800 single strokes in a minute; these guys must be superhuman. The WFD isn't kidding when they say: "Welcome to the longest 60 seconds of your life".

No comments: