Saturday, November 12, 2005

You Get What You Give

Sometimes you gotta wonder if your great idea is truly a great one or not -- especially when it comes to publishing private information in the public domain.

Point in case was when actor/comedian Tom Green decided to publish his personal cell phone number on his weblog. He then decided to turn on his webcam, and document how long it would take before the phone calls started to roll in.

It's almost funnier watching Tom drive himself crazy, waiting a full two minutes before the phone rings. Of course, once it started ringing, it didn't stop.

Sorry, no permalink for this one, so you might have to scroll down a little ways to find the post, though the title is very obvious: "The Moment I Lost My Mind and Gave out My Personal Cell Number. 1-(XXX) XXX-XXXX".

I don't think it's fair to Tom if I post his cell number on my blog.

I'll give him credit; he's got balls. Given his popularity, it's an invite for every fanatic, bimbo, sociopath, religious solicitor, and telemarketer to talk your ear off day and night.

I don't own a cell phone, and if I did, I don't think it would be wise to publish that number here -- and nobody wants to talk to a nobody like me. Heck, I thought it was risky enough publishing my email address and instant-messaging information on here. I've already had a couple people dig up that address and begin talking to me in Portuguese.

You might be a great person and all, but if I can't understand what you're writing, be prepared to be iggied.

No comments: