Thursday, December 01, 2005

One Way To Get People To Vote For You

I am not surprised that one of the first mandates in this year's election is that Conservative Leader Stephen Harper has vowed to lower the GST by two percent in five years -- which would be 5%.

I suppose that's one way to buy votes.

Yet, I wonder if lowering the GST rate would do Canada any good. Things are good now, at least economically, but when happens when the going gets rough? Harper can thank the Liberals for cutting the deficit, and now he's trying to capitalize on it by lowering the tax rate. I think it's too early in the game to commit the lowering of taxes. The last thing I want is my country to fall back into debt. It took us more than ten years for the Liberals to pay back the debts the Progressive Conservatives racked up during the Mulrooney years.

This post was brought to you by the words i and Book.

No comments: