Saturday, December 31, 2005

Tweaking Backup Scripts, and Sync Alternatives

As a follow-up to my file back-up issues in this post, I have stumbled on some excellent solutions to prevent data loss, and sync accounts between different computers.

I placed the workflow I created in the login items of my computer. This way, the file would be backed up at least daily. The problem was that the script would execute several times per day -- and I would end up with too many backup files that what was necessary.

Then yesterday, while surfing the web, I came across this hint, to use cron or anacron to execute workflows. I thought this was exactly what I was looking for, but I am someone who doesn't know a lot about code, and would rather stay away from the command prompt -- unless it was absolutely necessary. Further reading in the comments of the article suggested that iCal can be used to schedule the execution of scripts -- and even launch programs autonomously. Perhaps this was the solution I was looking for!

So the first thing I had tried, was to set up an iCal event, which would execute the backup program at 4:05 AM daily. I logged in this morning, and the script seems to have worked.

Scripts are like all kinds of software -- that there is always room for improvement. I am thinking that I would like my address book backed up, and I would like to add some other housecleaning events to the workflow. I could even store the information remotely, such as on a web server, but I don't think that will be of any importance at this time.

This still doesn't solve my issues with respect to syncing important information between my desktop and laptop computer. But out of sheer luck, I stumbled across MildMannered Industries, makers of mySync.

At this point, mySync does all the mac-to-mac syncing capabilities that .Mac offers, but without the $99 per year price tag. In fact, while the program is in public beta, it is free to use. Subsequent versions of mySync may come with a price tag, as the developer suggests, but if you are looking for a temporary solution, this program might just do what you want it to.

I have yet to try the program, but the thousands of testers at MacUpdate appear to enjoy the program. I will be testing this software, and will inform you of its' strengths and/or weaknesses. If this program does everything that it boasts, and it's easy to use, I will be stuffing the developers' PayPal account.

No comments: