Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Commentary on "The Day I Went Pro"

About a month ago, I crafted this post, which is little more than a breif synopsis of my early music career.

Much to my surprise, I was contacted by a young aspiring drummer named "Ashwin". Here is what he said:
I got here through one of the yahoo drum groups. I loved this post, I'm learning to be a drummer, and this gives me a lot of inspiration. A lot of how I envision I'd want my life as a musician to be, I see you've done. Playing just for the fun of playing and for the experience.
What kind, thoughtful words. I thought my response would be worthy of mention:
Ashwin:

Thanks for stopping by. I like sharing my experiences largely because like you, I spend a great deal of my mearly career aspiring to be a great drummer, and spent many evenings wondering what it would be like to be a professional musician.

I had drummers whom I admired greatly while I was growing up. I never thought drumming was a competitive endeavor, instead I would like to think of it as a collaborative one. The most shameless thing I can do is share everything I have learned with those who are willing to listen.

I wish you the best of luck in your aspiring career -- and if you "make it", be sure to drop me a line.

No comments: