What an interesting and turbulent few weeks this has been. I am often too tired to post anything, but that's the story of my life.
So what's been going on?
I guess the biggest news is that the Savoys that was, will never be again, but this is the story of all music. Before you jump to any conclusions, let me assure you that the band did not break up. We were dealt a whopper this week when the bass player BW, decided his interests would be better served elsewhere.
I am a bit saddened that he chose to move on, but I respect his decision, and I don't like him any less because of it. It really doesn't change anything. Music is Business. All this means is that someone else will take his place at the gig.
People must think that musicians are fickle, and hold grudges for years. I suppose thanks to the Beatles, the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac and countless others, that members who leave bands hold reservations against one another. Let me assure you that it is the bad breakups that get all the publicity.
From what BW told us, his decision to leave the Savoys is a purely professional decision, and I believe him. His ears are the major source of his income, and he felt that playing with us affected his hearing. If he can't make his living because he can't hear, then what good does it do for him to continue playing with us? It's not like we make enough to pay all your bills -- at least today.
I will miss BW at our shows. He was always smiling; constantly cracking jokes. It made the gig fun, and it helped the camaraderie of the band. He had a great ear, and was a competent musician.
But it's no more than a job. So before September, the integral role of Bass player for the Savoys must be filled.
Before you get any strange ideas, let me assure you that we have already retained our applicants. Those who we considered have already been contacted. We thank anyone else who has supplied a resume; we will keep it on file for 3 months.
Unfortunately, I don't feel it right to discuss who has been retained, until we feel that we can make the news official. You might have to hold tight for a few weeks until we are able to audition the selected person(s) and make an official decision.
Thursday, June 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment