Amidst my nasty cough, the show must go on, and I dragged my sorry self down to the historic Medalta Potteries site, where I would be performing in Phyllis Sinclairs' CD-Release Party.Bizarre, would be one way to describe the experience. I have never done a show in a museum-like institution, but the room was more than large enough to accommodate a stage, PA system, and a few hundred guests.
However, I had my doubts that having such an ordeal would be a wise idea, given the number of priceless artifacts that are present.
My fears were confirmed as soon as we began soundcheck. Between by bass drum and Gene's Bass firing through the PA, there was enough sound pressure 100Hz and below to rattle one's intestines, and send vibrations throughout the building, and thus send thousands of priceless clay artifacts from their display shelves to ultimate doom on the concrete floor. I even joked with Gene that we would be held responsible for bringing down the "Great Wall of China".
The opening act was Edmonton's Stew Kirkwood. His opening show was fantastic. In a strange twist of fate, when I was introduced to him, he took a long look at me and asked "Do I know you from somewhere? Have you ever gigged in Edmonton?"
It turns out that one of the first Anglers road trips out of town, we drove to Edmonton in mid-January in a snowstorm to play this dump called "Eco-City / Rumpus Room". We played the last night the place was open, before it was condemned. About six bands played the gig that night, and one of the bands featured was called "Welcome". Turns out that Stew Kirkwood was in Welcome, and gigged with the Anglers some twelve years ago. Certainly Stew and I laughed at the serendipity that allowed our career paths to cross again, after many years. I am amazed that his memory is so sharp, otherwise I wouldn't have known him from Adam.
The Phyllis Sinclair band took the stage sometime around 9:30 to a house packed-full of folk aficionados. We had as many people as 8 performers crowding a small stage, however that did not deter our enthusiasm. Last night, everything came together (for some reason, all gigs seem to come together at the last minute). The 90-minute performance was packed full of eclectic music, anecdotes, jokes, and even plugs for herbal tea. There were many highlights to the night, but certainly one of the most spiritual moments was when Phyllis brought up the local Search for the Stars winner Jesse Dollimont. She wowed the crowd with her haunting rendition of Emmylou Harris' Boulder to Birmingham.
One other touching moment was the band's last number the Saxophonist, a tribute to the late Medicine Hat Jazz player Lyle Smith. Young prodigy Andrew Jenkins brought the house to their feet (I mean this literally) when he brought the saxophone to his lips.
The rest of the band was fantastic. Tegan Davidge had a command of the violin that few possess. Gene Clelland bass talents were certainly heard and felt in that live room. He was a solid bass player and his contributions to the show were greatly appreciated. Lou Bernard has some fantastic chops on the guitar, and his presence was appreciated, even if he had to disappear immediately after the gig (he had play a Cold Shot Gig). As for Billy Jones, well he's likely the most talented steel guitar player in North America. Just two years ago, this master was on tour with Canadian institution Stompin' Tom.
And Phyllis was an absolute delight. It was her show; her party, and her kindness reverberated through the walls. The crowd was eerily silent and appreciative during the encore when Phyllis sang acapella. I must give credit to anyone who has the gumption to fly solo in front of a packed house, and all the lights, and all the eyes are on you.
I can't thank Phyllis enough for the opportunity to play with her (and the rest of the bandmates) these past few weeks. It's been one wild ride.
Hopefully I can soon tell the legend on how a Dead Eagle became a Blue Turtle.

No comments:
Post a Comment