Thursday, September 23, 2004

Shameless Political Plug

This is not exactly what I wanted to discuss today, but I stumbled upon this site, and I felt like it was worth mentioning. The United States War Machine has contributed to more wars and political instability than I could possibly count. If the US is not fighting a war, they are often contributing weapons and supplies to countries that are.

I don't like to discuss political views on this blog, as everybody takes sides, and animosity quickly develops. As far as wars go, it doesn't matter what side you are on; there is no such thing as a definitive 'good' or 'evil' side. It's all propaganda. The world isn't black and white.

I don't want to go much further than the facts. The Israeli occupation of the Palestine territories is illegal due to UN Resolution 242 and the 4th Geneva Convention. The United States have been supplying weapons and supplies to an illegal occupation for over forty years. This contributes in increased resentment and hatred for the United States by Middle Eastern Nations.

It seems to me that in recent years, the way the United States has dealt with this hatred directed towards them is to stomp it out with their war machine (Iraq and Afghanistan). Turning crop fields into craters is no way to win over the hearts of the civilians you wish to govern. The question few people are asking is why did the United States invade Iraq and Afghanistan when those countries had nothing to do with the terrorist attacks of September 11th 2001? Over two-thirds of the hijackers were Saudi Arabians. Why did not the United States just turn the Saudi Arabia into a nuclear wasteland? The answers are rather geo-political, and oil has almost everything to do with it. Instead of going after the vigilant country, the US would rather bully a few neighborhood runts as a warning to "not piss us off". I still fail to see the logic in declaring war on undeveloped nations. Afghanistan and Iraq were nothing more than scapegoats to appease the angry and perplexed civilians of the world's richest nation.

If the United States ever wishes to end terrorism, they must stop it at the source. They will have to pull their forces out of Iraq, and Afghanistan (to name just two), and stop the funding of Israeli forces. Once this happens, I might be able to sleep better at night.

No comments: