I am still feeling miserable. I managed to stay home from work yesterday, but that doesn't mean that the work didn't show up at my front door. After laying down for a few hours, my boss shows up at my door with some "urgent" work. So this was an opportunity to put my new office suite OpenOffice, to the test.
My initial experience with OpenOffice was that the interface closely resembled Micro$oft Office. What I was really interested in, was how compatible the two were.
I imported a Word file, and an Excel file. The Excel file converted to OpenOffice seamlessly. There were only minor issues with some fonts, but the file appeared normal once ported back to a PC version of M$ Office. The Word file converted less accurately, namely with respect to the drawing tools. Arrowheads were improperly sized, and the graphics were generally harder to manipulate in OpenOffice. This could be potentially fixed in an upcoming release of OOo.
One other problem I had centered around the highlighted text feature. I normally use this to highlight words and phrases that will require editing. I highlighted some text in OpenOffice, but once opened on M$ Office, the highlighted text would not "un-highlight". This was solved the old-fashioned way, by deleting the highlighted text, and manually re-typing it.
Overall, OpenOffice has passed the first test. I have yet to see how it will work with inserted images such as photos.
I managed to put in a half-day at work today, but I left for the afternoon as I am in desperate need of some rest. I have a late night due to Grease rehearsal, and I can't miss tonight as I missed Sunday's practice. If I don't get enough rest, I'm going to end up being completely useless tomorrow -- and there are late nights ahead for me the rest of the week.
On another note, I have been watching my traffic on this site. October has broken all the records for site visits on this site. Traffic is continuing to climb; perhaps November will be even more successful!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment