Sunday, November 28, 2004

Last Grease(y) Post

Last night was the final banquet for the production of Grease. About three-quarters of the cast and crew attended. The party was a little bittersweet, but at least there were no tears.

The president of the theater production company said a speech around dinnertime, thanked us for all our hard work and informed us that out of 44 Musical Theatre productions, ours was the most successful in history. The play not only sold-out, it sold out in seven days at 104% capacity. This production has raised the bar in standards of quality of entertainment at the local level. Of course, we were all gloating.

It may be the end of the show, but that doesn't mean that it will be the end of friendships. I know I will lose touch with many of them, unless we all coincidentally get cast in a future production. There are some friendships that I gained that will continue, and some that may develop into future business ventures.

I am specifically referring to a few of the members of the band. Some of us have enjoyed each others' playing to a degree where we feel that it might be advantageous for us to form a cover band. I brought up the idea to one of the guitar players and the bass player of the Grease band what they thought of this idea. They were both very receptive to the idea of forming a three-piece power rock band to make a few bucks on the side.

I have been getting the itch to play gigs again, and I have been biding my time to find the right guys to get back in the local music scene. My vision for this venture is little more than playing a few pubs around town. I am not thinking about writing songs, recording an album, going on tour, or the pursuit of stardom to any degree. I just want to have fun, and sing a bunch of songs for the local party animals.

I am excited about this little endeavor. I am already thinking about what kind of songs I'd like to learn. Yours truly will likely be doing a lot of lead singing -- something I am really excited about.

If I hear from the guys this week, than perhaps this little vision of mine might become a reality. I will keep you all posted about this little endeavor. Of course, if you have any song suggestions, by all means, drop me a line.

No comments: