I shouldn't have to explain to you how much I enjoy my new computer. There is one major problem it has (actually all computers fall into this category), which is inferior sound.
I am a self-admitted audiophile. I like my music crisp, clean, and detailed. I on occasion, like it loud. My new iMac has these tiny little speakers built into the display, but they sure don't put out any volume, nor is the fidelity exceptional. Sure, there is lots of treble, but no bass.
So I was considering investing a lot of money into multimedia speakers for my computer. It has a digital output, so I should be able to run my computer using Dolby Digital 5.1. While doing numerous searches on the web, I just couldn't find any products that were going to satisfy my needs. It wasn't a money issue; I was quite prepared to spend a hefty sum for my ear-candy.
There was one other issue that was eating at me. Many of these 5-speaker (or 6-speaker) systems designed for computers use inferior products. Again, I did not want to front the money for a system I would be unhappy with in the future.
Furthermore, in the near future, I want to be able to do digital recording on my new machine. Mixing an album on little satellite speakers is no way to record. Again, I am faced with having to purchase expensive studio monitors for my workstation. The speakers I am specifically referring to (Mackie HR 824s) run about $2000 per pair.
I wanted to listen to my iTunes the way there were supposed to be listened to -- and I could not wait any longer. I managed to find the solution to my problem with items already in my possession.
A few months ago, while frequenting a few of my favorite pawn shops, I found a pair of Bose 201 bookshelf speakers for about $100. They are high-quality speakers, and studio monitors are similarly designed. In recent months, I haven't been using my fancy speakers. So today, I bought some monster cable, put my Bose speakers on my computer desk, and wired everything into an amplifier. Now I am in musical bliss. The sound quality is exceptional; better than any cheap multimedia speaker system could offer.
The next step will be in invest a few bucks into either an MBox or the Digi 002, both manufactured by Digidesign. Then, I will have my happy little recording studio.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment