Saturday, January 22, 2005

Here Go Another 15 Weeks...

This post is complete irony with respect to my previous post. This week featured the debut of the third season of the Apprentice on NBC. Looks like I'm going to be spending many Thursday nights in front of the boob-tube.

I hate reality television. Absolutely despise it.

But I am hooked on the Apprentice. I think I like the business theme. I can do without all the cat-scraps though. The first two seasons began with pitting the males against the females, and more often than not, the females all fought amongst one another, usually over some petty issue. In contrast, this season we are seeing college graduates being pitted against those who have only a high-school education. I consider this is an interesting concept. In the end, I think experience will prevail over intelligence.

I have been in video-game mode this last week, so I apologize for not updating this site. Earlier this week I successfully finished Myst III with a nominal amount of hints. The final puzzle was hard as heck, but I had figured out many of the clues as to simplify the problem. I was quite proud of my ingenuity.

Since then, I have been playing NetHack again. I haven't been having much luck, as I keep dying at the hands of my own (apparent) stupidity. I have learned a few neat things though, perhaps I will one day get a character that will be powerful enough to see the bottom of the Gnomish Mines. I apologize if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

There are so many commands in NetHack, that it could potentially take a player years to figure out all the applications of the commands. Many of the items have unexpected uses if you apply them to commands you would otherwise not usually consider. I find this amazing from a game that when compressed, nearly fits on one 1.44 MB floppy disk. Then there are the new (i.e. popular) games that can only fit on DVDs. That's what a heavy reliance on graphics does.

2 comments:

br@nd0n said...

Doing the whole random blog search and came across this, and I wanted to say that I completely agree with you on the reality tv/apprentice thing. I hate reality tv, but there is something more appealing about the apprentice, and the only thing I can think is because it seems like they're actually doing something...they're solving problems, getting stuff done, working towards a goal that doesn't involve useless crap like eating bugs for money.

MC said...

Thank you for stopping by Brandon,

I think the Apprentice has more 'substance' than other reality-based shows. It is, in many ways, a job interview. With respect to other reality shows, in order to get ahead, you must consipire, back-stab, cheat, lie, and steal in order to get the strongest contenders eliminated from the lineup. That doesn't seem to happen with the Apprentice. Generally, the most honest person, and the hardest worker, is the one who is ultimately awarded the job.

I get no satisfaction out of watching a television show where people have to put scorpions in their mouths to get ahead. I don't care about how many pounds a candidate loses, nor do I care if someone is tempted enough to cheat on their significant other.

I have seen the previews for "The Contender"; much like the Apprentice, but featuring boxers. It looks like it's going to be as trashy as the rest.