SK, who has given me a lot of gigs in recent months, is moving to Australia for an indefinite length of time. He has been the owner/operator of Absynthe Recording Studio for the last three or four years. Coincidentally, he sold the studio to my guitar player Chris, who obtains full ownership Monday.
Things are exciting and turbulent in my local music scene.
I haphazardly ran into SK two nights ago, and he asked me to play a gig this weekend with him. I told him I would, since I have had a great time playing with him, and it's an opportunity to make a few extra bucks. I was informed that we would be playing at a wedding reception, and that RH would be joining us.
I have had an 18-hour "workday" today. I was up at 9:00, and soon on my way to DM's studio where her and I are putting together a recital featuring both our students. These practices are very long for her and I, as we are working with about 6 groups for an hour each, every Saturday, until the day of the June recital. At times it is very difficult to listen to, at other times it is very rewarding, when we watch our pupils grow musically before our very eyes.
As soon as the recital practice with DM and her horde of pupils, I was running like a headless chicken getting my gear into the reception hall before the guests arrived. I met SK and RH at the hall, and set my gear up in a mad rush. I had my drums set up in under 20 minutes, which might be a record for me. I was off and running, grabbing a bite to eat and changing into a suit.
By 8:30, I had arrived at the wedding reception where we were to entertain the crowd.
Once again, myself, SK, and RH played a successful gig without having a rehearsal. We had a great time playing with one another -- the music felt good, we sounded very tight, for the amount of preparation I had, and the crowd loved us.
The thought of SK moving to the Southern Hemisphere is a little bittersweet. He has been very supportive with me, he has given me lots of work, and he has allowed me to network with a new contingent of musicians in this city I would have otherwise not have met. I am going to miss these spontaneous gigs, playing everything from AC/DC to Kool and the Gang; from Steve Miller to Prince; from Classic Rock standards to the most utter fromage you could imagine.
But he introduced me to RH, who is a relative newcomer in this town. Both him and I have hit it off musically. In a lot of ways, he is a lot like me, lovers of the rhythm section. Good bass players are hard to come by in this town, and I consider myself very lucky to have had the opportunity to meet him. RH and I are taking very seriously about putting together a new band to upset the status quo of my local music scene. All we need now is a gifted guitar player, and there are many of those circulating around this city -- it's just a matter of finding the right one.
I am so excited, I can't wait to see what is going to happen in the next few weeks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment