Okay, so Stronach crossed the floor yesterday to join the Grits. I thought this was a bit odd, but it occurred to me that there is a lot more going on than meets the eye.
What I think really happened, was that Paul Martin "bought" her, so she would defect to the Liberal party. Stronach, though new to politics, is popular, and seems to have a lot of influence with voters and other members of parliament.
It is obvious that Martin is worried about tomorrow's vote, that could potentially trigger a federal election.
Then this happens. Ooooh! Scandal! Can you say Martingate? If this is indeed true, Martin is buying votes, and paying opponents to abstain from voting. It may very well end up that the Liberal Government will remain in power after tomorrow's vote, as it sounds like it may wind up in the Liberals' favor, even if they had to play dirty to win the vote.
Frankly, I was hoping to see a Federal election in the next couple months.
As for Belinda Stronach, I'll tell you what she's got up her sleeve. She's a power-hungry woman. She ran for the leadership of the Conservatives, but didn't win. She was elected to Parliament in the interim, and she has been sitting with the opposition, quietly flirting with the Devil. As of yesterday, she crossed the floor and was immediately given a ministry position. If this doesn't say that Martin sold his soul to get her to defect to the Liberals, then my name's Chuck E Cheese.
I think Stronach wants to see an election in the coming weeks. And I'll tell you why. Though the Prime Minister is doing his best grant himself a stay of execution, I think his number is up. The Liberals polls are in the tank, but I still think that they are a better choice than the alternatives -- The Conservatives, the Bloc, or the NDP.
If an election is indeed called, I expect to see another minority government with the Liberals winning the most seats -- but I also expect them to lose a number of seats to the Bloc. I also believe that if the election is indeed held, I predict Prime Minister Paul Martin will lose his riding. If he does, I would bet money that there would be a new Liberal Leader and Prime Minister awaiting this country in the very near future.
I have little doubt if these events come to pass, that Stronach will be declaring her interest in obtaining the keys to 24 Sussex Drive. Like I said earlier, she's a power-hungry woman, whose got nothing to lose.
You heard it here first, folks.
Wednesday, May 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment