Thursday, June 23, 2005

Soup-Up The Engine in Your iPod

There just seems to be no end to what geeks can do when they hack hardware. In fact, Jeffery Nelson has managed to port Linux to the iPod.

I love what the iPod has offered, but I was hoping that the iPod would have some better software. I know it was initially designed to be a digital music player. But us techno-geeks want more. I was hoping the iPod would have technologies that would have it more resemble the Newton or a PDA. Maybe Apple is currently developing those technologies, but they won't tell us.

I enjoyed the address book, calendar and games features that come stock with the iPod. Unfortunately, the games get stale rather quickly, and you cannot edit the address book or calendar entries on the fly. When I am about, I would love to put an appointment straight into my iPod calendar, or entering a buddies' new cell phone number. Having Linux on your iPod opens up a whole world of new possibilities. I have not tried the software, so I cannot endorse the product, yet.

Regardless, it's very cool, in a geeky sort of way.

No comments: