Monday, July 11, 2005

London

Thursday morning, the airwaves were flooded with news that London had suffered a terrorist attack, where to date, 52 civilians have died, and injured more than 700. Regular readers of mcfro.blogspot.com must be wondering why I haven't commented on the matter earlier.

Part of the reasons why I haven't commented to date is due to the fact that many of my favorite bloggers have said it far better:
  • Matt Good's initial reaction
  • EmGee shared her thoughts regarding the matter on The Dating Game
  • Tor witnessed the bombing first-hand, as he is a resident of London. Short entries and pictures are available here, here and here.
I am deeply saddened by Thursday's attacks. The same feelings of loss, fear, and helplessness came over me, just as they did that fateful day of September 11, 2001. My deepest sympathy goes to all the families who lost a loved one. Civilians should never be casualties of war.

Unfortunately, terrorists play a completely different ball game, which makes their attacks much closer to the heart, and makes them nearly impossible to catch. Like I mentioned a few days ago, terrorism is meant to undermine the well-being and strike fear into the civilians.

I sadly fear that the London attacks were further exploited by the media. Terrorist attacks such as the London bombing happen quite frequently in other areas of the world. I find it rather unsettling that buses explode all the time in Iraq and Israel, but they don't ever receive this much media attention. All we get is a little 15-second blurb on the television and radio, and we go about our lives like the sick capitalist pigs we are. A bunch of Jews die in a bus explosion in Israel, and we barely care. Muslims in the West Bank, in Iraq, Afghanistan, and dozens of other war-torn countries die in terrorist attacks daily, and we don't give a shit. But 52 Christians die in a coordinated subway bombing, and the developed world stands still, aghast that someone would do such a thing to them.

It just makes me sick, the fact that we are such a selfish civilization.

George W. Bush's response to the London attack was about as sickening, sending another message [in so many words] that he would personally find the attackers and bomb the piss out of them.

I still feel the world would be such a safer place if that trigger-happy-madman would get impeached soon.

No comments: