
Here, for your viewing enjoyment, is the picture of yours truly, on his galactic debut as bass player.
I think I look damn good wearing a bass, n'est-ce pas?
You better believe I was thinking: "I can't wait until I can get out of these cursed clothes, and into jeans and a T-shirt!", which is exactly what happened within the hour.

3 comments:
Nice picture :)
I wondered about the clothing... (Nice too, but didn't seem to fit your personality). I'm envious you've picked up playing bass in a year. I bought a good used bass and started learning to play a few years ago. Lost it to my ex during the divorce (amicable in that respect - he can really play). Seeing one is reminding me how much I enjoyed learning.
I was told long ago that every instrument you learn becomes easier than the previous one.
I'm no master bass player by any stretch of the imagination, but it is (more or less) an enjoyable pasttime.
I've played 3 instruments, although two of them - flute & piccolo (and alto flute) - are so similar that it doesn't seem right to count them separately. The other was the oboe. It was in the same key and actually has very similar fingerings. The hard part was the embouchure.
Strings seem entirely different to me. You can play a note with one finger (or none) down and multiple notes at once. You have more flexibility about the quality of sound. More ways you can play "wrong" (have your finger on the wrong part of the string but still sort of get a note out).
I think another difficulty for me is that my fingers are very short. I can't physically play some chords on the guitar. I'm not sure any amount of practice and improved dexterity would help. Someone suggested I try a 3/4 or half sized. Bass was a little easier because I wasn't trying to play chords in the same way.
I think most of those things could be worked around if I had the time and was disciplined.
It's the discipline that's the hardest for me - setting aside time and sticking to practicing long term. I'm sure I could learn if I could just do that (but then there are so many other things I'd like to learn).
Post a Comment