Saturday, September 03, 2005

Comment Spam

I am going to rant again about this thorn in my side, spam.

It is being brought to my attention that a number of sites that I frequent are becoming havens for spammers leaving comments on blog entries. The comments almost look legitimate, except after 1 or 2 sentences, the true nature of the comments are realized.

This is of concern to me, as I have begun to notice that a few blogs that I read (some of them with very small audiences) are also being tagged with comment spam. I often wonder how long it will be until my comments are mired with advertisements for viagra, or affordable mortgages.

The way I see it, comment spam is little more than graffiti; vandalism.

So here is my opinion in all its' glory. Comment spam will be removed from this site at my earliest convenience. If it becomes a real problem, I will seek alternative measures to prevent spammers from commenting on this site.

And that's all I have to say... About that.
Ed. Note: After some web sleuthing, I have noticed a number of blogger features that will negate (to some degree) the proliferation of comment spam. I will employ these methods, such as allowing only Blogger-registered users to place comments, or employing word verification technologies.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Apparently blogger offers word verification. I saw it in the help but haven't looked at the settings to try to set it up.