My creative energy has been lacking in recent days, hence the lack of updates on this page.
Something to consider, it's all a matter of perspective. Our point of view is often what us primates argue over, especially when subjective matters, or religious issues are introduced. They mask the path to a definitive truth -- usually because there is no truth to the query, or the matter discussed.
But here, in one of my meditations (boredom at the office), I managed to deduce a difference of opinion, one that is completely objective, yet has no definitive answer. Consider the composition of the human body. If you wanted to know what the human body was made of, you would likely consult a scientist (a physician would likely count in this matter, just file him under biologist)
If you ask a biologist what the human body is made of, he will tell you that the body is made up of cells, countless microscopic entities, which happen to be the smallest living units known on this planet.
If you asked a chemist what the human body is made of, he will likely tell you that the body is mostly composed of hydrogen, oxygen and carbon. The human body is 80% water, and the rest is made up of complex hydrocarbon chains. An entire field of Chemistry dealing with hydrocarbon chains is more commonly referred to as Organic Chemistry -- but you all knew that already.
Conversely, if you asked a physicist what the human body is made of, he will likely tell you space. He would explain to you that cells are made of organelles, organelles are made of molecules, molecules are made of atoms, atoms are made of subatomic particles, such as neutrons, electrons, and protons, and these subatomic particles are made of quarks. But before I get carried away, let's consider the atom.
The atom consists of a nucleus, which has a determinate number of protons and neutrons held together by strong nuclear forces. Orbiting this nucleus are a number of electrons, which orbit the nucleus at an extremely high frequency.
If you consider the size of an atom, the size of protons, and the size of electrons, (I, regrettably, do not have the numbers available to me at the moment), you will find something incredible: The atom is mostly composed of empty space. Thus, the human body is mostly empty space.
All three scientists are 100% correct in their observations on the human body, there is just a difference in the scale.
So now that I know that I am almost completely empty space, I will attempt to walk through walls without any problem -- and if anyone dares call me an "Airhead" because of my attempts, I can tell them: "You are absolutely right! And so are you."
Wednesday, August 03, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hehe.
I wonder if it's a matter of not having sufficiently empty space within yourself and the wall that makes you unable to walk through the wall... or forces between the actual substances within you or what... (I've forgotten the explanation for it).
I was once told that it was because of the spaces between the atoms that makes it impossible for a person to walk through solid objects.
Nonetheless, I have since given up this attempt. I have a headache from banging my head against the wall.
Post a Comment