Another week has whizzed past, and the only thing I remember about it is my sore neck, and the headache that is currently developing because of it. I'm also due to visit my massage therapist, but due to scheduling conflicts, I imagine the soonest that is going to happen will be two weeks from now.
I should be practicing. Instead, I am procrastinating, something I do so well. I haven't written anything in this weblog in days, and even though I have the itch to write, just for the sake of writing, I feel like I have nothing to say.
This also happens to be the first opportunity I have had since Wednesday to sit down and collect my thoughts. Therefore, I surmise that the words should come fluidly, but this, of course, is not the case.
All the media attention given to Katrina, and the insurgencies in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Israel have left me depressed. Geopolitical issues have finally crushed my spirit. I don't feel compelled to write about them anymore -- I feel like I'm shouting at a brick wall. Maybe if my mood changes, I might find a newfound interest in writing about such subjects, but more often that not, I end up feeling drained rather than inspired.
This weblog is supposed to be an outlet where I can focus my creative energies and create something that myself and other readers can enjoy. This summer, this blog became something else entirely, where it seemed to be an endless rant about the thorns in my side that were planted there by the media.
To take the analogy one step further, if you don't want to bleed, you don't sit in the rose patch, right? Thus, given my time constraints, I am going to spend less time reading news stories. I still have my traditions, and I consider that I will still be informed. I imagine that I will be listening to the news on the radio during my daily commute to and from work. I just won't read the paper in the morning, nor will I read news stories on the web. Furthermore, that should cut down the frequency of posts of geopolitical issues on this page.
I expect there will be many accounts of my musical ventures in the near future. I have many rehearsals to attend in the next two months, and my first performance with the Savoy Blues Band is scheduled for October 15th. My students may be the cause of many stresses in the next few months, so there might be many posts, venting my frustrations.
Methinks it's time to tackle those 80 songs I have to learn.
Sunday, September 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I think this is where I where I was coming from about why care. It's pretty difficult to keep up with events when your everyday life is busy and complicated. Reading little bits of news here and there can leave you with a very skewed vision of what is going on.
Maybe it's good to read them, but it might also be good to avoid drawing strongly held conclusions about what you read/hear or giving them a huge priority in your general view of "how things are".
Just in trying to figure out what was going on with the execution here, I came across a huge discrepency in perspectives. I don't have enough information to really make a firm conclusion about which is right, if any. It would likely take a considerable amount of time to do so. I just don't have it.
I hate to say it, but maybe there is something in people specializing - in politics and/or journalism.
Post a Comment