Monday, September 19, 2005

The Phone Just Won't Stop Ringing!

Tonight, I received a phone call from BN, a fellow who I have met only once or twice. He's quite musical; and has quite the reputation in the local musical theatre guilds. A few years ago, he was the musical director for the local production of the Rocky Horror Show -- a show that was met with a great deal of success (even if it was a little risqué for my little conservative town).

BN asked me to be the primary drummer for the local production of Chicago. 1930's Jazz and Dixieland. Large stage band, complete with a full horn section. The first show in the Esplanade, the brand-new 750-seat theatre, and a ten-day show that is guaranteed to sell out, which means that almost 8,000 people will attend the show. The exposure is huge.

It nearly killed me, but I turned the gig down.

I am too busy as it is. I already have three bands on the go; a dozen students, and a full-time job. The Chicago gig unfortunately pays nothing, and in the music business, if you are making money, you take the gigs that pay, the charity stuff can go on the back-burner -- unless you are desperate.

It blows my mind. Since I left Legacy in 2002, I hit a real dry spell for gigs. Nobody called, and I thought my days as a professional musician were over. This year alone, I am getting calls all the time from people requesting my talents. It's like the floodgates have opened. It's at the point where something's gotta give. If I made any more money playing the drums, I would have to ditch the day job. But unfortunately, by bills are far too high to make ends meet on music alone. If I was gigging every weekend, and teaching about 40 students, I would be able to take that plunge, but it's not the case... yet.

I hate turning down gigs. In the music business, if you turn down a gig, you will never be called again. If you want to be the #1 guy in town, you have to take everything that comes your way, even unpaid gigs, since those might lead to ones that do pay. On the other side of the coin, if you take freebies, then you are labeled a sucker, and will be taken for free rides again and again.

Where do you draw the line?

It hurt me so, to turn down that gig. The moment I heard that Chicago was this years' show (which was around Halloween last year), I wanted that gig so badly. Funny how things turn around so quickly. I am now so busy musically, that if I took on one more gig, I would be stretched beyond my stress limits. I know that if I took on any more responsibilities, I would likely lose my job due to inefficiency. Then, I would be screwed financially.

A part of me is still very proud, and honored to get the call for the Chicago band. And I hope that the phone doesn't stop ringing. If my name is this well-recognized in this town that the phone is ringing off the hook, I wonder how long it will take until people from out-of-town begin calling me for work.

I love being self-employed. But I might have to hire an agent if things get any busier.

No comments: