This is likely the busiest week I have ever had in my lifetime. In addition to investing forty hours in the office, I have some twenty hours scheduled for my music-related activities, which include
teaching my pupils, rehearsals for my three bands, and gigs.
The gigs start happening next week, which I am excited about, as I get to start playing in front of audiences again, and hopefully put a little extra cash in my pocket.
A music career can basically be described as long periods of doing very little, followed by periods where the floodgates have been completely opened. 2005 is the year that everybody has been calling me, asking if I would like to participate in some musical endeavor. Though it's looking like I don't have much time for anything else. Something's gotta give; and I'd love to give up may day job, but I am currently not making enough to justify such a move.
But for the foreseeable future, the non-paying gigs are going to have to wait. They are usually pretty demanding on one's time, and all you really get (in the end) is a pat on the back.
And lots of applause. And exposure.
Mind you, it has been the last few volunteer gigs that I have done, which has produced more lucrative fruit. In 2003, if I had not participated in the musical "I'm Getting My Act Together And Taking It On The Road", I would not have been called to participate in "Grease" last year, which meant I would not have participated in the Volunteer Revue this spring, and thus, I would not have been called to audition for the Savoy Blues Band, which happens to be my main gig right now.
But at this point, I'm getting more than enough "exposure". It's time to start earning some bread. If I want any more exposure, then I'd better take off my clothes.
Tuesday, October 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment