Monday, November 21, 2005

The Only Thing I'm Being Lazy About is Writing Blog Entries

So much for daily updates. I suppose if you want a million online friends, you should blog at least twice daily -- at least, that's what Tony says. "Fifteen minutes with MC Fro" would result in about three lines being written every day.

The reason isn't that I type slowly; I type at a reasonable pace. The problem is collecting my thoughts into one coherent idea. That, and some days, I can't decide what I feel like writing about.

I am a person who lives his life in phases. I go from one phase to the next, and most recently, I am doing a lot of recording and audio editing on my computer. I am putting finishing touches on demos I had recorded some five years ago. I am starting other recording projects. MA and I are considering writing and recording some songs. It just happens to be that we end up far drunker than is necessary, and our musical skills suffer because of that. Listening to what we had recorded last week resulted in hysterical laughter -- yes, it was that bad.

The construction of my DAW continues, with the most recent purchase of a killer set of "cans", 1 pair of Sony MDR-XD300 stereo headphones. They were at the price point that I wished to spend. As far as headphones go, I would consider them mid-range in price. I just about fell over when I saw the price tag on these babies.

My house seems to be collecting more and more gear, especially with the advent of this project studio I have created. There is an acoustic guitar, two bass guitars, two amplifiers, and a bunch of electronics littering my basement. For some reason, recording studios are like that; they become havens for all kinds of new and vintage gear.

Not like I'm complaining...

Like that 10" reel that's sitting on my desk. I don't have a reel-to-reel unit to even play what's on the tape, but I'm hoping someone within my sphere of influence has one that I could have on loan for a night. That's all I need.

Still, I am entertaining the thought of buying a reel-to-reel unit cheap on eBay. But what for? How often would I use it? I absolutely love the sound and vibe of analog, but the digital medium is a superior environment for creativity and editing. Even the die-hards, that swore by magnetic tape are beginning to see how powerful the computer recording system is.

So what's next on the assembly line? Well, this is something that I have been giving considerable thought. I was doing some online shopping for microphones, and I'd be quite happy with a pair of AKG C1000S, yet I think the C451B's might be better models. I'd love to purchase a C414B-XL II, but I quickly changed my mind once I saw the price tag.

More important than microphones at this point, may be a matter of storage. It is not a good idea to record on your boot drive. I currently have less than 12 gigs of free space on my boot drive, and that will fill quickly with audio, samples, loops, effects, and instruments. I may need to buy an external drive that I can dedicate solely to audio production.

Audio recording eats up a ton of room. Four years ago, when I recorded the Legacy album, we filled an entire 20 gig drive. If we did that recording today, I am sure we would have filled a 60-gig drive. You must consider that every minute of digital audio, sampled at 44.1 kHz, eats up about 10 megabytes of hard drive space. Factor in the fact that most recordings have more than 24 tracks, the non-destructive nature of digital audio workstations, and today's high-end recording equipment samples at 96 kHz, and you see that hard drive space is eaten up very quickly.

I am quickly becoming a recording junkie. That shouldn't surprise me; I have loved recording myself ever since I joined my first band.

4 comments:

Casey said...

Perhaps in contradiction to Tony, my advice is don't post an entry if you don't have anything to say. It's just clutter, and nobody wants to read that. When you post something, make it worthwhile. GL

MC said...

I agree 100% with your arguments, Casey. I don't write a post for the sole sake of writing a post -- at least I try to not consciously do it.

There are few bloggers out there who can write something worthwhile on a regular basis. I may not be one of those blessed few.

Acquiring high traffic is not one of my goals; if the traffic comes, I will, of course welcome it. I have too many other important things in my life, that I can write in this blog day in & day out. I have a "life"; though often it seems rather mundane and repetitive, it still is a life outside the internet.

Anonymous said...

Hello MC. It's been a long time... enjoyed reading your blog. It's so you ;)

MC said...

McLush! I haven't seen you around in like, five years! Great to see you stopping by. Hope you come back often.