Monday, December 12, 2005

Clemency

I find it so hard to believe that the worlds most advanced, prosperous, developed and rich nation still has something as barbaric as the death penalty.

Since the Death Penalty was reinstated in the United States, more than 1000 inmates have been executed (Wikipedia states fewer, but the source is old). In a few hours, one more inmate will receive a lethal dose of drugs. Stanley Williams, founder of the Crips gang, is to be executed due to his involvement with a 1979 holdup that resulted in the deaths of four people.

From the MBlog:
During his time in prison, Williams has written 8 children's books aimed at deterring young people from becoming involved in gangs and has been nominated 5 times for the Nobel Peace Prize. Even President George W. Bush has written Williams commending him for his work.
Yet Schwartzenegger felt that it would be in his better political interest to let the man die.

I have little else to say on the matter that I haven't said already. If you want to read more arguments for and against Captial Punishment, I suggest you read the Wikipedia entry here.

No comments: