Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The Current State of Blogging

If you thought I went off my rocker in my last post, please be assured that I did not. Yes, it was little more than an experiment. Let me explain in a few thousand irrelevant words:

2005 was considered the "Year of the Blog". It was little more than a buzz word, and everyone jumped on the blog bandwagon -- just refer to my recent post about the subject. The problem arises that there are so many bad blogs out there, that people have grown tired of reading the diatribes of peoples' personal lives. Excuse the cynicism, but might this mean that people are learning there is more to the web than voyeurism?

Over the past year, I have noticed that the traffic to my little corner of the web has diminished. At this point, I really don't know how I feel about that fact. I don't think what I publish on here is of the lowest common denominator. In fact, out of pride, I really didn't want this site to become a haven for post-pubescent horny readers who flocked to my site because I either wrote dirty, or published photos of myself while scantily clad.

Though I resorted to that denominator in my last post.

If the internet was a haven for male geeks to collect, and disseminate information, then the blog is where the woman is queen. By this, I mean that the female bloggers receive the majority of traffic and attention. If they choose of objectify themselves as dolled-up whores who will fuck [nearly] anything, then they have managed to create a successful career as a blogger. The rest of us have to resort to creative artistic means of establishing and maintaining an audience.

Even in this medium, sex sells. But we knew that the first time someone uploaded porn to the internet. And this happened over a decade before most of us knew what the internet was. In fact, I believe the first porn disseminated through the internet was an ASCII text file of a naked woman -- though I could be wrong about this. And if the first porn file was ASCII text, i have my doubts that the uploader had any idea what a naked woman looked like.

Once again, I have found myself off-topic.

I will admit that I have not spent a great deal of time trying to increase my readership. There are a lot more things I could do, like commenting on blogs I surf to. Advertising helps, and so does selectively choosing your audience by writing in a specific genre. If I posted updates to this site at least twice per day, it would likely help maintain my readership. All this could be possible without changing the person I am (which incidentally, includes my gender). There are many male bloggers who are very successful as they established a niche market. Last I checked, the Instapundit was the most successful blogger ever, and yes, he's male, and he doesn't have to talk dirty to get all the hits.

The truth of the matter is, that we are all busy people, and I'm no exception. Some nights, after I have worked some 12-16 hours, I don't have the energy to be creative. This site is little more than a hobby, though I still think it carries potential. There is that chance that this site could take my career bigger, better and stronger than it ever has before. This is the common bond us bloggers share -- we want to be somebody important in this world. We want to be admired, respected, well-paid, adored in some cases, lusted over. We want the internet to fulfill the voids that the real world can't seem to fill.

No comments: