Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Looks Like I'm Not Going to See Matt Good Again This Year

Matthew Good's solo acoustic tour seems to be quite the hit. According to his website, nearly half the dates of the tour are sold out, and a number of encore dates have been added -- and subsequently sold out. This has been the first time in some eight years that Matt has made a tour stop in Lethbridge (to my knowledge), which is the closest he has come to my hometown.

I'd love to see Matt in concert again, but I have my reservations. I was privileged to see him at the breaking point of his early career, shortly after the release of his second album "Underdogs". I can't imagine topping the experience I had that night, my friends and I at the front of the stage, my body cleansed from alcohol and enjoying the new high of Prozac; I was elated -- a changed man, and in some twisted way, Matt's music was the catalyst that transformed the depressive, nihilistic alcoholic I was into an optimistic, inspired and intelligent being.

A part of me wants to see Matt in person again. Another part of me wants to relive that special night when the MGB blew the windows out of The Zoo. I also know that no matter how hard I try, I will never be able to relive that night.

So best of luck on this new tour Matt, I will just have to see you the next time you decide to cross this country.

No comments: