Monday, March 13, 2006

It's Time to Gloat

The Rotary Music Festival is under full swing. For the past week, and the remainder of this one, thousands of fledging musicians will compete in instruments of their choice, and be adjudicated. The competition is fierce, as there can only be one winner in each competition. There are usually a lot more tears than smiles; in fact, it's more like the musical Olympics of my city, except there are no silver medals for second place.

I have an ambitious drum student who has competed in the Music Festival the past three years. He has worked very hard to get his skills where they are today, and the last two years he has been successful in winning the trophy in the percussion category.

But I should not forget to mention that he was the only percussion competitor the last two years.

That all changed this year.

I had been informed several weeks ago, that my student would not be the only percussion entrant. There would be several, and I told my student that this years' victory would not be a shoe-in. I expressly told him that if he wanted that trophy for the third straight year that he would have to earn it.

A part of me was a little skeptical of the outcome of his performance. I have never met the competing instructor, though I have heard he had some impressive credentials. I also did not know the capabilities of the other entrants, so all I could do is give my student the best direction I could, and instill enough motivation that he would learn the pieces, and perform them to the best of his ability.

This evening my student called me to tell me how his performance went. It must have went good, since he scored 91% and 92% in his two performance pieces. That's First-class honors with distinction. He was also awarded first place in the percussion category. Given the scores, I think he had secured his name on the trophy once again this year.

I am proud of my student's accomplishments, as it is not just an indication of my students' drive, motivation, work ethic, or talents. It is also a reflection of the teacher's ability to instruct, motivate, and inspire. His victory today was also mine, in a sense.

I hope he enjoys having that trophy in his living room for at least one more year.

No comments: