Sunday, May 07, 2006

Say What?!

I have no idea if I should run with this headline or not:

Bush's Best Moment as U.S. President Was Catching a Largemouth Bass

Reading the story, I sense the author tried to turn this into a smear campaign. The President was obviously joking.

This just goes to show you that creeps will go to no end to turn your every word against you. My loyal readers will tell you that I am no fan of Bush Jr., nor his political agenda. But I believe in giving him credit where it is due. Journalists will take any remark made in jest and contort it to sell newspapers. I have seen it happen countless times in my local newspaper.

Perhaps this issue goes a little deeper, that the problem lies not in the interviewee, but with the media conglomerate as a whole. You are damned if the media is privately owned; you are equally damned if the media is owned by the government. Perhaps the media should be held more accountable (or liable) for the content they choose to publish. There is such a thing as libel, which is taken very seriously, but when a journalist takes what is said out of context, they can make their readership believe anything they want.

No comments: